Some people don’t like cleaning, or they don’t have enough time to clean their appliances properly, are you also one of those? Tell us why you prefer to make a coffee at home instead of getting it from a professional restaurant. Yes, that’s the cleanliness for which you will prefer homemade coffee. And, of course, you understand the importance of it. That’s why you had searched for how to clean the Breville espresso machine.
We appreciate your search for it; trust us; it’s not as difficult as it seems. So, roll up your sleeves before we get into the detailed guide.
How to Clean a Breville Espresso Machine?
After all, you had spent lots of money on your Breville machine, and now, to enjoy a delicious coffee is your fundamental right. But you know what; a clean machine leads to a better taste. Yes, that’s why cleaning your Breville espresso machine needs to be considered on a priority basis.
For your ease, we have divided the cleaning process into three sections of everyday cleaning, descaling and deeper cleaning.
So, let’s find them together, but before starting the cleaning process, check out the instructions given on a machine card. It will help you to understand this guide in 10x better ways.
Good to know: Breville and sage are the same brands with two different names. Sage’s name is commonly used in the UK and Breville in the rest of the world.
1- Breville Machine Everyday Maintenance:
Regular cleaning is a must to get a fresh cup of coffee and enjoy its natural taste, not only for taste but also to keep your machine running for a longer period.
Well, you have made a great coffee and now want only to enjoy it, but here you need to remember that quick maintenance of the machine is also essential to enjoy the same taste of coffee in the future.
Don’t worry; right away, we have a quick guide on how you can do it effectively.
Let’s jump into it.
- Firstly, brew it with clean water – it will help you immediately remove coffee residue from the brewer, and for that, you can also use hot water.
- After brewing, don’t forget to remove the filter holder. It will take only 2 minutes, and make sure to do that.
- Now, clean the filter basket and wipe it, where washing it off is the best way to remove grime and prevent oil build ups.
- Since we are talking about daily maintenance, we can forget about cleaning the drip tray – wash it with a dishwashing liquid and let it dry before putting it into its place.
- Here, you have no chance to miss wiping the exterior because, for sure, while you touch it, that will make him dirty. That’s why wiping is needed to keep it clean.
These 5 critical steps of Breville daily maintenance will make your descaling and deeper cleaning much more accessible and keep your machine in perfect working condition for a long time. So, don’t hesitate to do it.
2- Descaling the Breville Espresso Machine:
Over time, with the usage of a machine, you will face an issue of lots of mineral buildups in your coffee maker, and in this case, descaling could help; whereas
Descaling removes water and mineral build ups from your machine as there are both types of hard or soft water, which could affect its working in the same way.
So, descaling is an effective way to keep your coffee maker running but remember; descaling doesn’t reduce any existing debris. So, let’s find out how you can descale it effectively.
- First of all, you need to make sure that the machine is unplugged from its circuit and it is in standby mode.
- Now, start the process by emptying the water tank and removing all the debris out there. So that it could not stick while cleaning.
- After cleaning, fill out the water tank with a descaling solution, tablets, vinegar, or anything else you might want to use.
- Put your Breville in descaling mode, whereas buttons could vary depending on the model.
- Ensure the container is ready to catch the liquid and let the mixture work through the system.
- You can also keep your appliance in the steam option, as it will help to remove all the grimes and buildup from it.
- Yes, it’s all done; now you can empty the remaining solution from the tank.
- You can also repeat the process if needed, but usually, it doesn’t
- For the final extraction of chemicals, you may try to repeat the process with water.
- Wash it off with fresh water and put the tank back.
Yes, with these 10 easy steps, you are all done with the descaling of your Breville espresso machine.
3- Breville machine deeper clean:
Your Breville espresso machine needs to get a deeper clean every 3 months, but if you are using filtered or soft water, you may extend this period up to 6 months.
And for sure, you are in dire need to do if Breville alerts you with a “Clean Me” pop-up. You can’t ignore this warning and get ready to give it a deeper clean as soon as possible. But here, it doesn’t mean only the inner cleaning of your espresso machine but also the entire set from external and internal to the bottom back right corner of your device.
- Well, it’s not that difficult if you regularly clean with descaling. It won’t be a big task for you as it works the same, and going through the two earlier points will let you do deeper cleaning more conveniently.
- First of all, you need to start by fleshing out the tank
- Next, fill the tank with water and place the cleaning tablet in the center disk
- Attach the center disk with it and press the power 1 and power 2 buttons simultaneously
- Yep, the clean me process starts, and let it done until the tablet resolved
- If you are not satisfied or have not worked with the 1, you may repeat the same process
- Now empty the tray, and you are good to go with the basics.
Well, that’s not all you need to do for deeper cleaning. Here you have to clean the entire machine internally and externally as well.
So, let’s quickly look at those parts you need to clean to complete the more profound cleaning process.
Clean Group Head:
It’s vital to clean the group head of your espresso machine so that you would get the real taste of coffee. Also, it is a time-consuming process; you need to be humble.
And to clean the group head, the most critical first step is to run the brew cycle using only water because the clearer the water, the better the taste.
Next, after brewing, you need to use a pin tool to clean and filter the holes. Then wipe it down with a clean cloth and ensure there should be no coffee residual before putting it back in place.
Clean the Grinder:
The most crucial part needs to be cleaned as the coffee beans have lots of oil in them, and if not cleaned, the oil will affect their performance.
And to clean the grinder, you need to use a vacuum to remove any remaining beans or grounds; repeat this process in and around the hooper.
Then wipe it down and put it back on the lid. You can also use a brush to remove coffee grounds that may block the blades.
Clean water filter:
Cleaning your Breville water filter is a critical part that needs to be considered, but it is often ignored. Still, it would help if you remembered that a dirty water filter would lead to growing bacteria, which could be unsafe in extreme cases.
That’s why you need to clean the water filter at least every 1.5 to 2 months, and to clean it, you need to remove the filter and soak it for 5 minutes, then wash it.
Other Cleaning Parts:
Clean the storage tray, drip tray, and water filters for an effective deeper cleaning
Tools are not necessary for cleaning, but having the right tools will make the process easier and faster for you. So you also understand its importance, which is why you are concerned about it.
Briefly explain that you need these essential tools to get a quick cleaning.
-Cleaning brushes and sponges
-Vacuum to clean the grinder
-Descaling solutions or powder
-Allen key – used to tighten or loose the bolts
-Soft towel and a pot
Though these tools are not compulsory but good to have.
Well, there is no hard and fast rule through which you could know how often you clean it but still, here are some ways/tips which could help you to get a better assumption of when you will require it.
It would help if you cleaned it once the notice of clean appears where the solid light means descaling while blinking light means performing a cleaning process.
Make a schedule for you to remember what exactly needs to do with the cleaning of your Breville espresso machine.
You may make a schedule that after every use, you will make sure to give a quick flush or steam, or after every 1 month, you will clean the group header, grinder, and canonical burr. Then, after 3 months, you will descale it. It means having a schedule will help you better understand when and what is needed.
If you are still not getting how often you should clean it, we must say it depends on your routine. The more you use, the more cleanliness is needed.
If you rarely use it, you don’t have to do much cleaning, but if you often use it, you will have to do a deeper cleaning sparsely. So with that, if you are making 2 or 5 cups of coffee each, you need to clean it every week.
All your money will be lost if your Breville is not making a great coffee; what else would be the purpose of buying a premium one?
And of course, if you are not getting the right taste, it’s because of the niftyness in it. So, have a cleaning routine to enjoy a good coffee.
Descaling vinegar is also a good option; people often use it more than any other descaling solution.
If you also want to do this, you need to know that it works the same way. And all you need is just water and vinegar. That’s it!
Tip: make sure to use a ratio of 50:50 of both vinegar and water.
The rest of the process will remain the same.
Well, you should try the descaling solution, which is a far better way to do the same job because vinegar can cause a foul smell that could last longer in your coffee maker and affect its taste.
After cleaning the coffee maker, the most critical concern in this regard is how you can keep your machine clean for a more extended period.
So, here are a few tips or instructions that will help you to protect it from dirt.
-Please keep it in the drawer and away from the dust.
-Have a cleaning kit with yourself. It will surely help you reduce workload and create ease in this annoying frequent cleaning process.
-Don’t forget to wipe out the machine after every use.
-Make sure to create a cleaning schedule for it to keep you on track and record.
These basic instructions could lead you to have a clean machine for longer.
Breville is a trusted brand with several authorized users.
To quickly answer, we can say that if you give enough care and attention to its cleaning process, your Breville could easily last for 6 to 10 years.
If you are not describing your espresso machine, you are creating a mess, leading to the following problems.
-Water will not reach its optimal brewing temperature
-It would be merely impossible to extract the full flavor of coffee beans
-You will not get enough hot coffee to enjoy
-The flow of can water clog, and your espresso could quickly stop working
Do you still want to ignore the descaling or cleanliness process? After all, you have spent lots of money on it, and you don’t want to regret it.
Wrapping up the discussion, note that an appliance is not only a gadget to make coffee but also needs commitment and passion, which only a coffee enthusiast can understand.
So, if you are a coffee lover and want to enjoy its natural taste, you will never ignore its cleanliness.
I hope this detailed guide has created some value in yours if you have still left any unanswered questions. Do write in the comment section; we would love to be there.